Sunday, October 7, 2012

Hearing and Speech test

I have to admit that as a parent, I am always anxious for results of any type of testing on Addison.  Her school was having speech and hearing tests performed for the kids that signed up.  There have been a few times where you think Addison's speech is normal for her age, or is it?  For her hearing, when she is playing and I call her name and she ignores me sometimes, is this normal for kids?

 Well we received the results and she passed on her speech.  her T sounds like K sometimes but that is suppose to stabilize later.  She is to be rechecked in 12 months to be sure.  So no therapy or re screening of speech/language skills in the near future.  I was so relieved as you always question that if I missed something as a parent and didn't see it and didn't get my child help.  I always want to provide the best for Addison and if I didn't, I would just never forgive myself.  My mom reassured me with saying if she does need therapy, we will get her the best therapist out there at whatever price.  I just love my mom, she makes me feel better in situations where I worry and in the end there is really nothing to worry about. 

For her hearing, she is just getting over an ear infection so her results were for a re-screen in 4 weeks.  Hearing screening results were within normal limits.  Tympanometry was not within normal limits for both ears.  So they recommend that in four weeks to be sure the condition is resolved.  I reached out to a friend who is a hearing doc (such technical terminology for me) and she said not to worry just yet as an ear infection can cause a result to be off.  Just to contact my doctor in a few weeks to have it rechecked and go from there.  She is hearing fine, we just need to worry about hearing loss. 

No comments: